Chiang Mai, the rose of the north, is an ideal city to enjoy them for a few days. Chiang Mai is a city that invites you to discover it, to know its treasures, special corners and above all its people.
So how long to stay in Chiang Mai? To make the most of your trip, you should stay in Chiang Mai for a minimum of 3 days. If you can spare a few more days, there are several interesting day trips you can make from Chiang Mai that are totally worth it.
If your idea is to know this city we leave you this post where we give you 8 reasons to travel and explore Chiang Mai.
Why You Should Visit Chiang Mai
- Because of its temples and architectural ruins, true treasures that help us understand the important role that Chiang Mai has had in the history of Thailand.
- For being a city open to tourists. The character of the people from the north of Thailand is special, friendly to the outside world and Chiang Mai is their best example.
- For its festivals… Chiang Mai is a special city when it celebrates festivals such as the Flower Festival, Songkran (Thai New Year), Loy Krathong or Yee peng (Lantern Festival).
- For its food.. Chiang Mai has a rich gastronomy that is an example of the flavours of northern Thailand’s cuisine.
- For being a quiet and pleasant city … Chiang Mai has pedestrian areas where you can enjoy walking around the city and thus better understand the daily lives of its inhabitants.
- For its markets … Chiang Mai is famous for its night markets, places where besides comparing memories and gifts can enjoy the rich cuisine of the area.
- For his surroundings… Chiang Mai is enjoyed in the same city, but especially in his surroundings. Places like Doi Suthep, Doi Inthanon or Doi Pui are perfect to enjoy the mountains and view that the city has.
- Because of its multiculturalism… Chiang Mai is an example of the melting pot of cultures that inhabit the area, ethnicities that dye the mountains where they live with color.
As you can see, these are more than enough reasons to choose to visit Chiang Mai as one of the destinations you should not miss when travelling around Thailand.
Tips For Backpackers Visiting Chiang Mai
If you are travelling to Chiang Mai during the festival season I advise you to have your train, bus or plane tickets booked as soon as possible.
The best area to stay in Chiang Mai is the area of the city wall, in its old part you will find very cheap accommodation.
Don’t miss out on getting to know the surroundings of the city. If you do any trekking avoid being included in tours with elephants that involve animal abuse.